Good Tidings

Follow me as I explore Alaska's vast coastline.

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

The Girls Of Summer                                                                Inez Dunn ©2014

Let's FACE it to capture facial features with pencil and chalk is really super difficult.  I study my own...with plenty of CoverGirl powder and foundation but its quite the mystery to put the likes of facial contour onto paper. None the less I kinda love my girls all large lipped and wide nosed, with eyes that are just pencil lines with a graphite smear.  I also picked-up an old art book of mine, a book I purchased for a class many, many, many years ago. The book is titled " Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" by Betty Edwards. Even though this book is quite dated it takes a interesting angle into the right approach when thinking about drawing the human face, and it takes the reader by the hand with some very productive drawing exercises. Try using a mirror, or even drawing your own sweet face, upside down! For me this artistic phase is all about challenge, pushing my boundaries, inhaling eraser dust, putting down pencil to paper, and tossing that paper into the garbage. And then doing it all over again! Either way facing my objective is a very good discipline, the goal is to put my best face forward, just like mom always said.

No comments:

Post a Comment